A study of the Roman and Castle Road area of Colchester town centre has been added to the website listing Colchester’s historic buildings. Roman and Castle Roads were developed on land which had been Colchester’s Botanic and Horticultural Gardens. These private gardens which had opened in 1823 were finally closed in 1851 and the site was sold off in plots for housing.
The Colchester Historic Buildings Forum was established in 2009 to highlight buildings of architectural or historic interest in Colchester. To find the location of the Roman Urn Public House and the site of a Roman pavement visit the website at http://colchesterhistoricbuildingsforum.org.uk .