The Colchester YAC is for 8 to 16 year olds who are interested in archaeology and history. We carry out a range of different activities, some practical – relating to archaeology and museums – and others being more history based, focusing on different areas/periods through a range of activities, games and craft activities. Our past sessions have included:
- ‘A medieval Christmas’ – including medieval costume, dance, games and crafts
- ‘Roman religion’ – looking at the Roman remains in Colchester and the Roman gods
- ‘Pottery through time’ – handling real Roman pottery and making your own pot!
- Summer excavation – participated in a morning of excavation of a Tudor hunting lodge run in conjunction with the local Archaeological Society.
For more information, including details of how to join and membership forms please contact our branch leader Laura at:
- 01206 506961
- The Museum Resource Centre, 14 Ryegate Road, Colchester CO1 1YG
As well as joining the local group, you may also be interested in signing up for the national YAC UK whose membership will provide:
- A welcome letter signed by Tony Robinson, the Club’s president
- A certificate
- A badge
- A membership card
- Four issues a year of our exclusive Young Archaeologist magazine.
- The YAC Pass – The YAC Pass gives free or discounted entry to more than 170 independent museums and heritage sites across the UK as well as offers with English Heritage
YAC UK is organised separately to the local branch, and details of how to become a national member can be found at http://www.britarch.ac.uk/yac/#YAC_UK_Membership
or by contacting the YAC UK office on 01904 671417